7 Do’s and Don’ts to Tighten Skin after Weight Loss
Losing weight feels fabulous. Seeing the flaps of skin sometimes left behind…not so much. You may have been left with unsightly loose skin that has you covering up that body—instead of showing it off. Skin becomes loose after weight loss when the elastic parts of skin aren’t able to shrink down fast enough. The good news is you may be able to reduce that loosey-goosey jiggle with these do’s and don’ts:
- Don’t lose weight quickly. Shedding pounds too quickly doesn’t give skin cells time to snap back into their proper shape. Stay away from fad or crash diets and focus instead on steady weight loss of up to about 2lbs each week.
- Do strength and weight training. These exercises build and tone muscles so they give shape to the skin. Kick start your shaping with this4 Minute Kettlebell Fat Blasterworkout.
- Don’t neglect water intake. Hydrated skin is more elastic skin. Carry water with you throughout the day to make sipping for your skin simple. You can also give your taste buds a treat with this homemadeOrange Sports Drink(it’s a much healthier alternative to sugar- and preservative-laden store-bought). Remember to cut back—or better, eliminate—soda. Give ourNo Soda Challengea try.
- Do maintain consistent weight. We can’t completely control some weight changes, like those from pregnancy. However, non-pregnant women can maintain skin or keep it from getting worse by maintaining a healthy weight. Yo-yo dieting stretches the elastic parts of the skin, leaving you with loose flaps. Check out5 Daily Menus—How I’ve Maintained My Ideal Weight for 5 Years.
- Don’t forget to be kind to your skin. You’re wearing the only skin you will ever have. Tighten and preserve skin by caring for it. Regularly use all-natural sunscreen, avoid tanning booths, and limit exposure to heavy-duty chemicals (think harsh cleaning solutions). Pool and hot tub fans, remember to rinse off immediately after a dip to remove chlorine.
- Do use clean eating recipes. Clean eating is a lifestyle that emphasizes whole, natural foods over those processed or packaged with chemicals or with added sugar and sodium. The recipes are heavy on ingredients packed with antioxidant-rich, skin-nourishing fruits and vegetables. Healthy fats and oils also help skin stay more elastic, so don’t be afraid to eat proper portions of foods like olive oil or avocado. Clean eating isn’t as hard as you think! Try thisSlow Cooker Brown Rice and Chickendish.
- Don’t be hard on yourself.There are so many factors that play into the state of our skin. The natural aging process takes a toll as well as choices we may have made in the past. Focus on caring for your body now instead of obsessing over things that cannot be changed. You areyou—beautiful and unique.
Losing weight should make you feel better about your body. If loose skin is causing you to cover up, start taking steps to reduce jiggle and tighten naturally.
Video: 7 Easy Home Remedies To Take Care Of Saggy Under Eye Skin
How to Keep Post Vacation Romance Alive
How to Start a Business Book Club
How to Recognize the Signs of Intoxication
How to Display Microphone Data Using SensorDAQ
Kate Moss for Liu Jo Spring 2012 Campaign
How to Perform Netilat Yadayim
The Road Less Traveled: A Millennial Mom of Four’s Secrets to Balancing itAll
The 9 Best Full Coverage Foundations to Try ThisFall
How to Love Everybody
A Missed Lung Cancer Diagnosis
Cheryl calls in Prince Charles’s divorce lawyer
This Amazing Pregnant Woman Tried Wakesurfing to Induce Labor at 40 Weeks