Ask Dr. Taz: Do Any Energy Supplements Actually Work?
Q: How many of those "energy" supplements actually energize you?
–Jane Schaeffer, 63, BREINIGSVILLE, PA
A: Many do, as long as you pick one targeted to your particular type of fatigue. My goal is to help patients find no more than five supplements that address their health concerns. But you need to pinpoint the problem before you can find your own personal fatigue fighter. These are some I recommend.
1. B-complex vitaminsboost energy in just a few weeks. The Bs help your body extract energy from the food you eat, but the big bonus for women is that these nutrients also restore energy by balancing hormone levels and recharging the immune system. Look for a B-complex supplement with about 50 mg each of pantothenic acid, thiamin, and vitamin B6; 800 mcg of folic acid; and 1,000 mcg of vitamin B12.
2. Iodineis hard to get in the diet because it's not as abundant in soil as it once was. Low levels can lead to underactive thyroid—your metabolism slows, leading to fatigue. Kelp, a good source of iodine, isn't easy to work into your diet, so I suggest a 75 mcg supplement. Don't take higher doses unless tests of your thyroid and iodine status indicate a need.
More from Prevention:100 Best Supplements for Women
3. Shatavari, or Indian asparagus, is the Ayurvedic solution if menopause symptoms—hot flashes, night sweats, moodiness—are waking you up at night, contributing to your fatigue. Look for it in powder or pill form and take about 400 mg a day
4. Rhodiolamay be the next big fatigue fighter, numerous studies suggest. This plant is an adaptogen—a compound that helps the body acclimate to stress. It's helpful for adrenal stress and mental fatigue and for calming the nervous system. Start with 200 mg a day.
5. Magnesiumhelps regulate the sleep cycle, balance hormones, and reduce anxiety, so it's especially beneficial for insomnia. Take 200 mg of a chelated form—it's easier to absorb and not so harsh on the stomach—before bed.
TASNEEM BHATIA, MD, is medical director and founder of the Atlanta Center for Holistic & Integrative Medicine.
Send your questions for Dr.
Video: ADHD and diet
West Elm pulls Peggy sofa after backlash
How to Cope With Hunger
Chocolate can help improve your maths
3 Ways to Learn Pashto
Maison Margiela Fall 2019 Collection at PFW
Sei una fan della birra Ecco i corsi e i master che ti insegnano a diventare un mastro birraio deccezione e a fare carriera nel settore
How to Make Tracing Paper
How to Create a Histogram in Excel
Im 53—Heres How I Look Taller in Flat Shoes
How to Make a Banana Cake
How to Learn German
Bernie Sanders Medicare for all gets Cory Booker, Warren, Kamala Harris support
How to Email Congress
How to Commit a Random Act of Beauty