How to Understand the Positive Benefits of a Hug
Defining the Types of Hugs
Enjoy the warmth.Just saying the wordhugcan bring a warm and fuzzy feeling, like a comforting blanket. No matter what is going on in your day, the frame of mind you are in, or the pain you feel in your heart, being on the receiving end of a hug can change your outlook. A hug is magical; it can bring you peace and comfort in your time of need.
Recognize that there are differenttypesof hugs.Hugging can be a natural medicine for both the mind and soul. While there are endless benefits to a hug, it helps to understand the different types that exist.
- The Cuddle:This is an intimate hug, where arms are thrown around each other in a firm embrace, no space between the huggers' bodies.
- The A-Frame:Starting with a brief squeeze, this hug is done above the waist. This is typical between people who do not know each other well.
- The Man Hug:Here we have a quick, hug and handshake, followed by a patting of each others back before quickly separating. It is typically a sign of comradery.
- The Side-On Hug:This hug resembles the look of a koala bear clinging to a tree and can be a favorite for children on a beloved family member.
- The Lift-and-Spin Hug:Such a hug is deeply heartfelt and spontaneous. This hug is both physically and emotionally uplifting, and should not be attempted by the faint-of-heart or beginner.
- The Group Hug:As it sounds like by the name, this is hug involves three or more people that can be celebrating anything from a sports victory to a family reunion.
- The London Bridge:This is a quick hug with someone that you really would prefer to be giving a handshake.
- The Long Hold:A long, tight hug, this is a sign of comfort for a person who has had a long or mentally exhaustive day.
- The Sneak Attack:This hug is a surprise for the receiver, as they are enveloped in a surprise hug from behind. It is an indicator of feelings of deep love and affection.
- The Around The Waist:An intimate hug where the hands of each person lands on the waist of the other, this is a sign of deep trust and vulnerability.
Appreciating the Science of Hugs
Experience the release of thelove hormone.Oxytocin is commonly referred to as the love hormone, because a hug is a prime example of when the hormone is released. Not surprisingly, it is also beneficial in treating depression and anxiety.
- Those suffering from anxiety disorders can find a hug reduces the amount of cortisol in the blood.Cortisol is a steroid. The levels of cortisol in the blood rise in response to physical or psychological stresses.
- The release of oxytocin is also known to lower heart rate and blood pressure, ultimately being beneficial in lowering the risk of heart disease.
- With continued research into how the brain functions and the control it has over bodily functions, it has been found that oxytocin hormones play a role in improving memory.
Recognize other beneficial effects.Hugs release dopamine into the system, which is a hormone that encourages pleasure. As well, serotonin is a chemical messenger in the body, that actively balances your mood. Hugs are known to cause a release of both of these chemicals, reducing stress levels and encouraging feelings of peace.
Note the benefits to your immune system.The hormones released as the result of a hug are immuno-regulatory. Hugs promote feelings of relaxation, which in turn changes the way that your body responds to emotional and physical stresses. This goes on to boost your immune system, allowing for a healthier you!
Feel a reduced fear of mortality.Research done on the study of fears and self-esteem show that hugs can greatly minimize the concern of mortality. Even the simple act of hugging a teddy bear can aid one's feelings of low self-esteem or fear of dying.
Acknowledging the Emotion Behind a Hug
Create a bond.The act of a hug can imply a silent vow of trust. It begins a relationship between those involved by sharing understanding and possibly empathy; a bond that grows over time.
Cure feelings of loneliness.With a hug, feelings of sadness, and anxiety can be replaced, even for a short time, by happiness and smiles. The single act of a hug can make the person with the sadness feel a togetherness that they long for.
Improve the quality of sleep.Remember how your mom or dad gave you a hug as they tucked you into bed at night? The act of a hug can be the reason that you have a good night's sleep, with the boost of positive feelings that result.
Respond to the feeling of safety.More often than not, the hugs we give are to those we hold near and dear to our hearts; to those we trust. The feeling of the touch of skin that occurs during a hug makes us feel safe.
Reveal signs of mental health.When hugging, emotions are revealed through the hug itself. The person on the receiving end of the hug is often able to tell if you are happy, sad, anxious or depressed. One does not have to have a medical degree to understand what the other is going through or feeling. They will be able to comprehend, to some extent, the emotions in the hug.
Show of appreciation.Each person shows their appreciation in their own way. For some, that gesture may be a handshake, or a pat on the back. For others, it is a hug. It is a form of communication that shows your gratitude as well as love and understanding, specific to that person and circumstance.
Elevate self-esteem.Some people suffer from a degree of low self-esteem. A hug can make you feel loved, appreciated, even accepted. It can put you in position of feeling positive about yourself, and has the potential to promote your impressions of your own self worth.
Ending with a Hug
Get your daily hug quota.Paul Zak, neuroeconomist and also known asDr. Loverecommends that it takes eight hugs a day to fill ourhugquota. This quota is said to help us live happier lives and to have better quality relationships. Famous psychotherapist Virginia Satir said that we need four hugs a day for survival, eight hugs a day for maintenance and 12 hugs a day for growth. While everyone may have a differenthug threshold, it is clear that hugs play an important role in our physical and emotional well being.
Explore the alternatives.There are people who are not in a position to receive thelove hormone, stimulating hugs that are available to others on a daily basis. In light of this, how does one go about filling this gap? The sense of touchanywhereon the body, combined with positive interactions and psychological aid, can assist with the production of oxytocin in the body.
Video: How playing an instrument benefits your brain - Anita Collins
14 Things You Didnt Know About HGTV
Woman stopped shaving her beard
Cherry Linzer Bars
The Style: Springs Best Looks
Gluten-Free Low-Cal Lemon Muffins
I only found out that I miscarried at my 3-month scan’
How Effective Is Tea Tree Oil In Treating Keloids
How do you know if you’ve got bed bugs
Best Mens Street Style From New York Fashion Week 2019
Cool Glitter Geometric Nail Design To Try
Date: 14.12.2018, 15:34 / Views: 83442