How to Wear a Bodysuit
If you’re looking for comfort, style, and convenience in one piece of clothing, a bodysuit may be perfect for you! They’re universally flattering and layer easily, making them perfect for any weather. To style a bodysuit, layer it with a sweater or jacket, and then dress it up or down with bottoms. Add some accessories to complete the look before heading out.
Choosing a Bodysuit
Pick a bodysuit that flatters your favorite feature.With so many options and styles, the bodysuit can truly be universally flattering. To find a bodysuit that looks great on you, consider what part of your body you want to highlight.
- For example, if you’re proud of your toned arms, opt for a sleeveless or halter-neck bodysuit.
Start with a T-shirt style bodysuit if you’re warming up to the trend.Go with something easy, comfortable, and familiar to see if bodysuits are your thing. T-shirt style bodysuits are perfect for layering with casual outfits because they look polished and seamless, and they won’t come untucked. Opt for a capped sleeve for a more feminine look.
- For example, you could style a simple outfit with a white short-sleeved bodysuit and a pair of belted boyfriend jeans, complete with a pair of suede ankle boots.
Wear a bodysuit with a deep V-neck for a more daring look.This will make your outfit look a little sexier and dressed-up. You could also go for a V neckline with a laced-up detail for added interest to an otherwise simple and sleek piece.
- For example, you could wear a black lace-up bodysuit with a camel-colored suede skirt and some tall black boots.
Go for a backless or sheer-backed bodysuit for a sexier option.Bodysuits with mesh or lace panels give your outfit a daring, night-out feel. You can wear these as lingerie or as a part of your daytime outfit for a bit of edge.
- For example, you could pair a black sheer-backed bodysuit with a plaid miniskirt, black tights, and black leather ankle boots.
Look for a bodysuit made of very stretchy material if you’re tall.Finding a bodysuit that fits comfortably can sometimes be difficult for taller people, just like trying to find a 1-piece swimsuit. Since there are no straps to adjust on a bodysuit, you don’t have as many options for fit.Look for materials with high percentages of rayon, nylon, or spandex for the most stretch.
- For example, look for a bodysuit made of rayon. This fabric is extra stretchy and works as a cheaper imitation for silk, linen, or cotton.
Layer a button-down over your bodysuit for a professional look.Pair a crisp long-sleeved button-down dress shirt in a solid color or a pattern and with a solid, neutral-colored bodysuit, such as black, white, or gray. Unbutton a few of the top buttons and leave the shirt loose to make the look more casual.
- Pair this look with some trousers or dress pants for work, or with jeans for wearing around your home.
Layering with Tops and Jackets
Wear a sweater over a turtleneck bodysuit for a comfy look.Bodysuits are perfect for pairing with sweaters because they’re thin and won’t bunch up. This look is comfy, relaxed, and still stylish, and it’s a perfect staple for a collegiate or young professional’s wardrobe.
- For an autumnal outfit, you could wear a white turtleneck bodysuit beneath a chunky-knit mustard sweater with a pair of medium-wash jeans. Add a pair of olive or black ankle boots.
Wear a blazer over your bodysuit to make it more work-appropriate.Since bodysuits already look crisp and seamless, all you need to do is add a blazer for work. You could go for a simple, classic option, such as classic black or a masculine grey tweed. You could also mix things up and add a pop of color with a red or forest green blazer.
- For example, you could pair a black and white striped bodysuit with a classic black blazer and some burgundy tailored trousers. Finish the look with a pair of black heels.
- For a funkier, colorful outfit, you could pair a white turtleneck bodysuit with a red blazer, some fitted dark-wash jeans, and a pair of black riding boots.
Throw on a denim jacket for a casual daytime look.Adding a denim jacket over a bodysuit is the perfect way to keep your outfit casual but still cute. Whether light wash, dark wash, or medium wash, a denim jacket is perfect for running errands or going to casual events like sports games.
- For an easy outfit, wear a short-sleeved, black and white-striped bodysuit with some high-waisted fitted black pants and a light-wash denim jacket. Add a pair of white slip-ons or sneakers to complete the outfit.
Wear a lightweight duster jacket over your bodysuit on a night out.To add some style and a little extra warmth, layer a lightweight duster jacket over your bodysuit and a skirt or pair of pants. The length and movement of the duster jacket will add some sexiness and mysteriousness to your look.
- For example, wear a black bodysuit with sheer panels along with some fitted black jeans and a long, black duster jacket for a cool, monochromatic night-out look.
Pairing with Bottoms
Wear a bodysuit with some high-waisted jeans for effortless style.This simple, iconic combination is easy to wear and universally flattering. The high waist will both define your silhouette and hide any skin showing from the bodysuit’s thigh-cut sides. You can pair virtually any bodysuit with some comfortable, distressed high-waisted denim.
- For an easy outfit, pair a gray long-sleeved, lace-up bodysuit with some distressed medium-wash, high-waisted skinny jeans. Add a black belt with a silver buckle and some chunky black ankle boots to complete the look.
- To make it more appropriate for a night out, keep the shoes and belt, but swap out the medium-wash jeans for a pair of fitted, high-waisted black jeans and try a bodysuit with a deeper V. Add some statement jewelry, and you’re ready to go!
Pair a white bodysuit with some track pants for running errands.This look is perfect for wearing around the house, going out to run errands, or meeting a friend for coffee. Choose a simple white bodysuit, whether a turtleneck, T-shirt, or tank top style, to make the track pants feel a little more put-together.This way, you can avoid the bagginess of a T-shirt and go for the seamless, polished look of a bodysuit instead.
- For example, you could wear a white T-shirt style bodysuit with a pair of red snap-up track pants. Add a pair of sneakers and a denim jacket to stay warm on cooler days.
Put together culottes and a bodysuit for an interesting silhouette.The snug, fitted top will contrast nicely with the wide, loose pants. Choose some culottes in a flattering mid-calf length, which will create the illusion of longer legs.
- For example, you could wear a black lace-up bodysuit with a pair of structured, camel-colored culottes and some heeled black sandals for a nice mix of casual and dressy.
- To make the look perfect for the office, just switch out the lace-up bodysuit for a classic black V-neck bodysuit and add a fitted cardigan or a loose menswear-style blazer.
Wear your bodysuit with a pair of shorts in the summer.The bodysuit and denim short combination is a wardrobe essential for hot weather. The lightness and close fit of the bodysuit will help you stay cool and still look polished.
- For a daytime look, wear a white bodysuit with a pair of high-waisted denim shorts and some leather sandals.
Pair a bodysuit with dress trousers for a work-ready look.With its clean, tailored appearance, the bodysuit is a professional wardrobe essential. You won’t have to worry about your shirt coming untucked and looking sloppy. Add some pumps and a simple, chic belt to pull the outfit together.
- Layer a button-down shirt or a sweater over the bodysuit for a cooler-weather variation of this outfit.
Add a simple belt to pull the outfit together.Belts complement bodysuits perfectly, since they keep everything flat and tucked and won’t bunch up the material. Go for simple leather belts that give a clean, professional touch to your outfit in neutral colors like brown or black. Metal buckles can also add a touch of interest.
- For example, you could use a black belt to transition between 2 form-fitting pieces, such as a white long sleeved bodysuit and a pair of fitted black pants. In this case, opt for a belt with a silver buckle.
Pair a choker with a deep V-neck bodysuit.Try going monochromatic and matching the choker with the color of the bodysuit. This will streamline everything and make the outfit look even more cohesive.
- For example, you could wear a black velvet choker with a deep V-neck black bodysuit for a night out. Add a pair of cuffed boyfriend jeans and some black chunky heeled sandals for a chic, effortless outfit.
Add a wide-brimmed felt hat for instant Parisian style.The tailored, fitted silhouette of the bodysuit looks even better with the addition of a hat. Choose one with a wide, round brim in a neutral color like black, navy, cream, or camel.
- For a stylish, European look, pair a black off-the-shoulder bodysuit with some gray plaid trousers, black heels, and a black wide-brimmed hat.
Wear a silk neck scarf with your V-neck bodysuit for a little extra flair.A silk neck scarf is an easy way to add interest and a pop of color to your outfit, and a V-neck bodysuit is the perfect top to showcase the scarf. Opt for a simple, neutral bodysuit in 1 solid color, and then add a brightly patterned silk scarf, tied in a petite side knot.
- For example, you could wear a navy V-neck bodysuit with some dressy medium-wash jeans and riding boots. For a pop of color, tie on a neck scarf with a floral pattern in red, yellow, and navy.
QuestionWhere are some places I can buy bodysuits?MarionetteArtistCommunity AnswerAmazon, Forever 21, and lots more places. Just google "bodysuits" and you can find lots of websites.Thanks!
Video: 4 Ways to Style a Black Bodysuit | Ingrid Nilsen
BareMinerals - Expert Shadow Liner Brush
How to Plan a Health Fair
Men’s Fashion Basics – Part 26 – 6 More Essential Fashion Items
Best Beauty Product Breakthroughs of2012
Vacation Perfection on Mauritius: Le Mauricia, a Beachcomber Hotel
How to Go Backpacking
Janelle Monaes Gap Holiday Sing-a-Long Will Make Your Whole Day
Joy Bauer, RD
How to Deal With Being Called Ugly
How to Prevent Makeup from Melting in Hot Weather
6 Things You Didnt Know About Earwax
How to Make an Office in your Kitchen
Urban Active: Performance wear is your new style essential
How To Dress For Travel: AutumnWinter Casual
Stretch Cotton Lace-waist Hiphugger Panty